Saturday, June 5, 2010

Let's Get Inked - GMFL


GMFL. That is what is about to be tattooed onto my ribcage within the hour. An uploaded photo of the tatty will come soon, don't you even worry.

I had always thought that I would get a tattoo when I was around 16 years old. Something that "meant something" to me in Chinese. Of course, it would probably actually read something else knowing my luck. Or it was going to a tribal band around my calf or something. An extremely attractive and popular soccer player in high school had gotten one after he had graduated and was abroad "discovering who he was". And by discover, he came back and broke up with his girlfriend because he liked the way the D tasted. I envied him so much, and wanted a tattoo like him.

Fast forward to going with a friend on her 18th birthday to get hers. It was the usual tramp stamp that she had to have. It wasn't flash and she had drawn it. But in the typical tramp stamp place. I held her hands and realized the permanency of her new ink. And also witnessed the pain that she was in. But, she had done multiple colors and it was a decent size - so I guess you have to take that into account as well.

After that, I swore off tattoos. Nope, I would not be getting one. I was better than that. I did not want the pain, nor the permanent artwork on my body. What would I want to live with on my person for the rest of my life was the question that I constantly asked myself and I could never come up with a good enough answer.

Well, that was all until GMFL came about. Something special between Goose and I. And we have joked for awhile that we would get it tattooed on our bodies somewhere, someday. I said that it needed to be in a place that does not see the light of day. Like my taint. Or the inside of my lip. I was seriously ROTFLMAO when Goose said that we were not horses and therefore could not get it tattooed on the inside of our lips. I remember that day well. I was in out in public running errands. And I remember thinking to myself how all of those people must have thought that I was insane becuase I could not stop laughing. Like a hyena. That put an end to that, but not that GMFL tattoo as we have talked about it since the GMFL inception.

Today. GMFL. It's happening within the next hour. We werethisclose to doing it last weekend. But didn't due to an hour long wait at the ink parlor. And my anxiety was never going to be able to handle that long of a wait. All signs point towards yes tonight though. Picked out a font that we believe is artistic and that I can live with for the rest of my life. There is no wait at the place we are going to. So...why not? YOLO.

No first tattoo experience could quite be complete (at least not to a queer man such as myself) without the proper soundtrack. I didn't really know exactly what would be considered music to get tattooed to. I looked online and found nothing. And the Genius recommendations of iTunes did not suggest anything after I purchased a cocktail jazz CD that would suggest "music to get your ink on". So, I created my own soundtrack. And it is - of course - appropriately titled: "Let's Get Inked - GMFL". Although maybe "Get Your Ink On" would have been a more appropriate title? I digress...

I am about to pop the tattoo virginity. It's my body. GMFL.


UPDATE: Tattoo completed. It hurt like a bitch. GMFL.

2 comments: