Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Soundtrack of My Life

It is so interesting to me how certain songs bring back certain memories and fill you up with emotion - all based on the meaning that the particular song has for you. And it totally varies for each song what memory it is that we attach to it.

For example, I cannot listen to Modest Mouse's "Ocean Breathes Salty" without thinking about driving back from the beach, kinda drunk with a brown paper bag wrapped forty in between my legs, (I know...thought it was a good idea at the time, but clearly wasn't) windows rolled down and the sunroof open, feeling sun kissed and singing along with the words at the top of my lungs with an ex-boyfriend. Every time it comes on the shuffle, this is the exact memory that I have.

And Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA". Every time that I hear that song, the memory that immediately comes to mind is sitting in some queer bar in some random town in Florida with Mr. B watching some God awful drag queen wear a horrible outfit and fake looking blond wig while performing terribly to the song. But we had so much fun singing along with it and poking fun at her. The song had just come out and was beyond popular with the gays.

That was the first time that Mr. B and I kissed. We were getting a little drunk at the bar. I instinctively knew that he was gay. For Christ's sake, he had been pursuing me for weeks. But he had never once said that he actually was gay. Before we went out to the bar, I told him it was a queer bar. He had no objections. He had just driven almost two hours to come and see me. Of course he was gay. I planted one right on him at the bar. And I am sure proceeded to make it with him. It was the first night that we hooked up too. No sex. Just fooled around...very drunkenly fooled around.

Each and every single person that I am close with has at least one song that has one distinct memory attached to it that is etched in my mind forever. Every time I listen to MGMT - it's PP. Goose? I don't think that a 12 disc CD changer would be able to hold all of our songs. I made a soundtrack for our matching tattoos. Of course we have music together. "I'll Fly With You" is totally Bellini. I don't know why. Maybe cause we rocked out to it in her car while parked in front of the Doubletree Hotel before we went into the club. Literally sat there and jammed out, singing at the top of our lungs and dancing in our seats. And VSC has too many songs to list as well. She is in same category as Goose.

Songs bring back such a distinct memory for me. Maybe it was the first time that I heard it, or something momentous happened while it was on in the background. It could have even been a mundane experience, but each time the song comes on the radio, or on a commercial on TV, or on my iPod, it triggers that memory that is planted in my mind forever. I could list so many more songs, and many more memories - most good memories, but some bad and sad ones thrown in there as well.

I just really enjoy music. Who doesn't? My current faves are simply the soundtrack to my life. And truly, if only cameras were following me around and inserting popular or my favorite music as interludes a la "The Hills" or any other MTV reality show, my life would be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment